Gerben Mourik completed undergraduate and postgraduate organ and improvisation study at the Brabant Conservatory in Tilburg, where his teachers included Bram Beekman and Henco de Berg. In addition, he undertook private study with Ansgar Wallenhorst, Naji Hakim and Ben van Oosten and participated in improvisation courses with Thierry Escaich and Loïc Maillé. Highly active as a performer, he specialises in the promotion of Dutch music and the art of improvisation.
Having held positions in Rotterdam (1998-2000) and Klundert (2000-2006), Gerben Mourik was appointed organist of the Grote- of St Michaelskerk in Oudewater in 2006. Here, he also teaches private pupils. Gerben has participated in various improvisation competitions winning first prize at the national improvisation competition in Zwolle in 2003. His 2005 triumph at the international improvisation competition in St Albans (UK) was followed by the first prize at the Haarlem international competition in 2008, awarded unanimously by the jury. Since 2013, Gerben has held the position of City Organist in Oudewater.
His ground-breaking CD series ‘Audite Nova’ documented ten organs built between 1950 and 1975 in 20th century repertoire. His most recent releases for the Danish label Helikon have included double CDs of French, German and Dutch romantic repertoire recorded on the P-G Andersen-orgel at Ansgars Kirke in Aalborg (DK) and of Advent and Christmas improvisations recorded in Jægersborg and Stege (DK).
Gerben Mourik is a member of the editorial team of the Dutch church music magazine Latare. He is also active as a vocal and choral accompanist.
In 2017 he established a new performing duo ‘Musica Miniatura’ with recorder player Magda de Jong. Their activities revolve primarily around children’s concerts and concerts in venues with no keyboard instruments. Likewise in 2017, Gerben was appointed house organist and Artistic Director of ‘de Stad Klundert’ where he is responsible for the promotion of the pair of organs (by Marcussen and Vermeulen respectively) in a former church building.